York Quay Neighbourhood Association covers Toronto’s iconic Central Waterfront, with members in every building. YQNA is actively engaged in what shapes our neighbourhood – traffic, transit, planning, cultural and social events, policing, environment, noise, businesses, and the great urban renewal transforming Queens Quay. YQNA welcomes all residents to participate, share their ideas and enjoy our events.
NOJetsTO is fighting to prevent jets at the Toronto Island Airport. Continuing the ban on jets at the Island Airport will confirm our Waterfront as our City’s prime recreational area.
Summary of issues:
1. The Tripartite Agreement that bans jets from the Island Airport allows a balanced life along the waterfront. Jets will tilt this balance for the benefit of Robert Deluce and the Island Airport
2. To allow jets, the runway will have to be extended 636 metres or 1400 feet into our Lake Ontario. This is a permanent change. The impact on Torontonians, marine life, communities and the environment would be tremendous.
3. Billions of public and private investment is being poured into revitalize the waterfront into a sustainable mixed work/life community. Jets will impact this investment and the growth of our city
4. Tourism will be affected. 12.5 million visit the Harbourfront each year. This does not include those who visit the Islands. Imagine jets flying by as you enjoy a boat cruise, or soak in the sun on HtO Park or Sugar Beach.
5. Noise pollution will increase along the waterfront affecting all the points mentioned above as well as those who have chosen to make the waterfront their home
6. Toronto already has a jet port ‑ Pearson. As of 2015 there will be a direct link from Union Station to Pearson. $1.4B has been spent on this to bring Toronto on par with other world class cities.
Join us in saying NOJetsTO and fight against Jets on the Toronto Island Airport.
The petition is linked here
No Jets TO is linked here